This week's Top Ten Tuesday at the Broke and Bookish was fun to put together. I don't have any pets, and I am not much of an animal person. I mean, I like animals as long as they keep their distance...and they aren't lizards *shudders*. Anyway, I have put together names I would have liked to have given a cat or a dog had I been inclined towards having pets.
5 Names for a Dog:
1. Frodo from The Lord of the Rings. I imagine he would be a tiny dog. A lassapso maybe.
2. Caesar from Shakespeare's Julius Caesar. Okay, so Caesar was more a title, true, and not a character, but that's still a name out of Shakespeare!
3. Sir Orfeo by the Pearl Poet. I picked the name up from Tolkien's translation of the same, though. I can imagine a lumberous labrador, master of his domain.
4. Ichabod from The Legend of Sleepy Hollow. I imagine this guy is going to be hiding under the covers during thunder storms!!
5. Earnest from The Importance of Being Earnest. Yep! This is one earnest looking dog!
5 Names for a Cat:
1. Atticus Finch from To Kill a Mockingbird. I don't know why, but this sounds like such a dignified name for a dignified creature.
2. Huckleberry from The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. So, I can see this tom cat coming in once every week looking like he's been on an adventure.
3. Darcy from Pride & Prejudice. Doesn't it sound like a cool name for a cat? All prideful and aloof.
4. Longshanks from Edward Longshanks. Again, a person right out of history. But then, he's a name in a piece of fiction too. A long-legged cat.
5. Uncle Tom from Uncle Tom's Cabin. I dunno. He's a very knowledgable looking tom cat.
So, there we have it! 10 names for dogs and cats. I've just realised that they're all names for males. Hmmm...
Do you like any of the above? What character would you name your cat or dog after? Or have you already a pet you've given a favourite fictional name to?